THE TINUBU SQUARE LAGOS

by Dominic Jombo
0 comment

Tinubu square, is an open space landmark situated in the heart of Lagos, at inner marina broad Street Lagos. It is the center of one of the key transport nodes of Lagos State. It interconnects many parts of Lagos State– island and mainland.
Originally, it was named “Tinubu” in memory of Madam Efunroye Osuntinubu Lumosa (1810-1887). Tinubu, a prominent slave trader and business woman.
Later, during the first republic which started in 1963, it was renamed “Independence Square”, and then later Tinubu square.
Madam Tinubu was a slave trader, outspoken, fearless, strong woman, and a warrior from egba land in present day Abeokuta Ogun state Nigeria. In recognition of her bravery, she was honored with the chieftaincy title of “Iyalode of Egbaland”. Tinubu was among the prominent nationalist who helped Akintoye get to the throne as Oba of Lagos. She fought against Dahomey “present day Benin republic”, when they layed torment on Egba people before leaving Lagos in 1856 during the reign of Oba Dosunmu.
Madam Tinubu died in 1887 aged 77 years, and was given a befitting burial. After her demise in 1887, the square was named after her. The Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa–led administration of Nigeria, later transformed it into a beautiful landmark and tourist attraction. Tinubu square provides a flexible nexus of street….broad street, Nnamdi Azikiwe which leads to Tom Jones, Ali, Customs street etc…. On the island of Lagos, where various commercial activities take place.
Juxtaposed to the square is a branch of Nigeria’s Apex bank, “The Central bank of Nigeria”, which is heavily guarded by security forces; different business House like banks, finance houses, insurance companies, fashion and departmental stores, and even the stock exchange are situated around the square. Also present, are churches, the central mosque, government offices, hospitals, and sundry traders that line the various streets.
Tinubu square in 1890, was the heart of Lagos itself. It was the location of the first court of Justice which was replaced in 1918 by the supreme Court or the court of assizes.
The Tinubu square today, is iron fenced with generous openings for tourist and passerby’s to have a clear view of the beautiful and amazing landscape. The square has a couple of sculptures, including a sitting man reading a book, three giant eagle wings, and a statue of Madam Efunroye Tinubu. all this were set up to enhance the beauty of the square. It also has an inscription of the name “TINUBU SQUARE” sitting on the two iron rods backing the bigger fountain.

Related Articles

Leave a Comment